Future Earth Days 2016
The Paris Hub invites French and international scientists to join the "Future Earth Days - Journées Future Earth", the first event in a planned recurring series of similar symposia. The aim of the conference is to start building the French Future Earth community and reunite scientists around the topic of sustainability science. The event takes place from 30 November to 1 December in Paris.
The first "Future Earth Days" will be open to all, but targeted particularly at the French community on global change research for sustainability. The meeting aims are to inform on Future Earth’s vision, ambition and activities and to attract new interest and participation.
The programme will highlight four topics relevant to our Knowledge-Action Networks: food-water-energy nexus, natural assets, oceans, and cities. Participants will have the chance to learn more about Future Earth, the structure and the progress of the respective Knowledge-Action Networks, and the various opportunities to get involved. Each session will include presentations of French and international experts in the field, followed by discussions in plenary. A poster session will offer the opportunity for participants to present their research related to Future Earth topics.
Speakers will include, inter alia:
- Laurence Tubiana, Climate Ambassador and Climate Champion
- Guy Brasseur, Chair of the World Climate Research Programme (WCRP) Joint Scientific Committee
- Heide Hackmann, Executive Director of the International Council for Science (ICSU)
- Paul Vossen, European Commission, DG Research & Innovation
- Paul Leadley, Chair of the bioDISCOVERY Scientific Steering Committee
- Peter Verburg, VU University Amsterdam
- Peter Liss, University of East Anglia
- Thomas Elmqvist, Stockholm Resilience Centre
- Eric Galbraith, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona
- Jerome Chave, Director of Research, CNRS
- Jean-Pierre Gattuso, Observatoire Océanologique, CNRS
- Cécile Barnaud, French National Institute for
Agricultural Research (INRA)
- Julien Rochette, Coordinateur du programme Océans et zones côtières, IDDRI
- Franck Lecocq, AgroParisTech
- Christian Valentin, Institut de Recherche pour le Développement (IRD)
- Sylvy Jaglin, Université Paris-Est Marne-la-Vallée
- Corinne Larrue, École d’Urbanisme de Paris
As a forum for presenting and discussing your own work and results we will have a dedicated two-hour long poster session. Posters will be assigned to sub-sessions that relate to the four highlighted topics (1) food-water- energy nexus, (2) natural assets, (3) oceans, and (4) cities, or to (5) an Open Session featuring any Future Earth- relevant work.
Please submit the title, authors, author affiliations and abstract (no more than 200 words) via the registration form and assign it to one of the following sub-sessions.
The registration for the conference is free of charge. However, participants will have to cover costs for accommodation and travel individually.
Please note that the registration deadline has passed. It is no longer possible to register for the Future Earth Days.
Please note that some sessions will be in French, others in English. We will not provide simultaneous translation devices, so participants need to be able to understand both languages. However, we encourage all presentations and discussions to be held in English.
Due to limited places available, we kindly ask you to wait for our confirmation before arranging travel and accommodation.
The event will take place at Ministère de l’Enseignement Supérieur et de la Recherche. The address is 25 rue de la Montagne-Sainte-Geneviève, 75005 Paris.
For a more detailed programme, please click here.