Future Earth Regional Networks
Building transformations to a more sustainable world is a task that falls to the entire planet. Future Earth, however, also recognises that each region of the globe also faces unique challenges – and develops unique solutions to make progress on sustainability.
For that reason, Regional Centres and Offices are a central part of the Future Earth global Secretariat and build on the expertise and innovation existing around the world. These networks connect Future Earth to regions across the planet, helping to adapt the vision of the programme for local contexts. They also ensure that regional priorities are integrated into the global mission of Future Earth.
There are currently two Regional Centres for Future Earth: One for Asia and one for the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). The Asia Regional Centre is supported by a Regional Office for South Asia, the MENA Centre with one for North Africa. A third Regional Office is in development for Southern Africa. In addition, the Inter-American Institute for Global Change Research in Montevideo, Uruguay, is a strategic partner for Latin America.
Future Earth’s Regional Centres and Offices play a number of roles in attaining Future Earth’s vision. These roles vary from one region to the other and may include:
- Connecting researchers and societal partners, such as leaders in policy, business and civil society, to each other and to Future Earth.
- Coordinating and organising workshops, training programmes and conferences on sustainability research.
- Launching national and regional-level research initiatives.
- Connecting regional researchers and societal partners to funding opportunities.
- Supporting Global Research Projects active in their region.
- Supporting the establishment and running of National Networks for Future Earth. Learn more about National Networks here.
Regional Centres and Offices
South Asia Office
Host: Divecha Centre for Climate Change, Bengaluru, India
Contact: S.K. Satheesh, Director
MENA North Africa Office
Host: Biblioteca Alexandria, Alexandria, Egypt
Contact: Salah Soliman, Director
Latin America Strategic Partner
Host: Inter-American Institute for Global Change Research, Montevideo, Uruguay
Contact: Alyson Surveyer (Montreal Global Hub)