Future Earth Sustainable Development Goals
The aim of the Knowledge-Action Network on Sustainable Development Goals (SDG KAN) is to bring the scientific knowledge and processes of the Future Earth community into the efforts to implement and achieve the SDGs. The methodological thinking underpinning this KAN is that of integrated, system-based, solution-oriented and multi-scale (local to global) approaches.
The aim of the SDGs Knowledge-Action Network is to ensure that science is both a tool and an approach to achieve the SDGs, particularly by adopting a cross-cutting approach and addressing key knowledge gaps related to implementation. As many different bodies are involved in global initiatives to promote sustainability, the SDGs KAN will act as a convening and coordinating platform, bringing together researchers, stakeholders and decision-makers to source solutions to achieve the goals. Together with the Future Earth community, the SDGs KAN will work to enhance communication, promote awareness of the SDGs and the scientific challenges in reaching them, and strengthen the science-policy interface at all levels of governance.
Future Earth aims to enhance the contribution of research in helping to achieve the SDGs through:
- Connecting the international research community to the SDG policy interface.
- Identifying and solving cross-cutting and cross-scale SDG delivery challenges, addressing institutional problems and systemic constraints.
- Synthesizing and proposing pathways based on existing research.
- Mobilizing an interdisciplinary scientific group to derive data and information to support the SDGs.
- Identifying critical research and funding streams for the SDGs and stimulate projects in these fields.
In April 2016, Future Earth, in partnership with the German Committee Future Earth and the Sustainable Development Solutions Network, hosted a foresight workshop to explore how research can inform the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals. You can read a summary of that workshop, called "Science needs in the context of tough choices in implementing the new SDG framework," here.