The 2018 Cities and Climate Change Science Conference co-sponsored by the
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), promises to be a pivotal event in developing the global understanding of cities and climate change.
In order to prepare for this important event, the organisers are looking for members to be part of the Scientific Steering Committee (SSC), whose key mandate will be to develop the scientific strategy and vision to achieve the conference objectives, namely:
- identify key research and knowledge gaps with regard to cities and climate change;
- inspire global and regional research that will lead to peer- reviewed publications and scientific reports; and
- stimulate research in Cities and Climate Change over the AR6 cycle to provide appropriate knowledge for the AR7.
This mandate will be starting as soon as early March 2017 and will be carried forward until the reporting phase of the conference to be held in March 2018. See the terms of reference for the SSC here.
We are looking for 12 to 15 members to be part of the SSC, based on the following selection criteria:
- Outstanding scientific contribution in one or many of the following key areas of expertise (a Ph.D. in one of those areas would be preferred, but candidates without a Ph.D. and additional work experience in one of those fields might be considered):
Architecture and design
Social sciences (including economy and political science)
Humanities (including law)
- Expertise in synthesis work and agenda setting is highly desired.
- Experience in working with stakeholders from the urban community (e.g. local authorities, NGOs in the field of cities, private sector) is highly desired.
- Experience in working with developing countries and/or IPCC/UNFCC processes is highly desired.
Candidates will be selected to have balance in region, area of expertise and gender. Interested individuals should submit their candidatures by sending a short CV (300 words), key relevant publications and a short motivation letter via this Google form – available as a pdf for candidates who cannot access google – by 22 Feburary at 23:59 EST.
Should interested candidates wish to send a more detailed CV, they would be able to do so at the the following email address: citiesipcc.SSC@futureearth.org. Only successful candidates will be contacted by 3 March.