To apply for this position, see the full posting announcement below.
Closing date and start of contract
April 30, 2018 – Start date would be June 1
20 – 25 hours per week with flexibility
The Future Earth Initiative
Future Earth is the international platform for research, innovation, and collaboration working to accelerate transformations to a sustainable world. With offices all over the world, we harness the experience and reach of thousands of scientists and innovators from across the globe. This international initiative was developed under the auspices of the Science and Technology Alliance for Global Sustainability, including the following international organizations: UNESCO, UNEP, UNU, WMO, ICSU, ISSC and the Belmont Forum.
Future Earth is served by a globally-distributed Secretariat that uniquely encompasses five Global Hubs (Boulder in Colorado, Montreal, Paris, Stockholm, Tokyo) connected through a dynamic, networked structure. The distributed model unites a diversity of perspectives, stakeholders and geographical locations. The Secretariat works through virtual teams that ensure that the diversity of perspectives and global reach are a daily reality. The Executive Director of Future Earth is based in Montreal.
The incumbent will work with and report to the Executive Director, by assuming an accounting management mandate of the Montreal Hub and Executive Director’s office. He/she will advise senior management in financial decision-making and participate in organizational development.
- Performs monthly bookkeeping and prepares other monthly accounting documents and financial reports.
- Collaborates in the preparation of operating budgets.
- Advises on the various financial actions to be taken in order to develop efficient planning.
- Stores all data related to billing, revenue, expenses, general paperwork and bank reconciliation.
- Prepares the necessary documents for the closing and the audit of the financial year and assures its support to the auditor.
- Checks and processes different accounts payable and expenses account which will include processing reimbursements for employees and participants attending Future Earth workshops, meetings and conferences; and performing coding of expenses and tracking travel expenses based on allocated funds.
- Checks the different receivable accounts by administering the contributions and grants, and carrying out the accountability.
- Implements and follows efficient logistics of file classification (electronic and paper).
- Performs all other administrative tasks requested by his/her superior or required as part of his/her duties.
Candidate qualifications and key competencies
- University degree in accounting, finance or related field and 5-10 years experience in equivalent functions.
- Excellent spoken and written French and English
- Understanding of accrual accounting and project accounting.
- Knowledge of current legislation and standards is necessary.
- Proficient working knowledge of Sage Business Cloud Accounting software or any other recommended accounting software.
- Must have experience in accountability for government and foundation grants.
- Desirable – national and international fund management.
- Ability to manage sensitive and confidential information with integrity.
- Rigor, method and autonomy.
- Attention to detail and analytical skills.
As the position is based in Montreal, applicant requires having a Work Permit for Quebec.
Applicants to this position are requested to submit a curriculum vitae, together with a cover letter describing their interest in the position and how their skills and experience would help them meet the requirements of the role. Please also include the name and contact details of two referees. Applications – in one combined PDF file and in English – should be sent via email with "Accountant" in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date for applications is 30 April, 2018. Further information on Future Earth is available at www.futureearth.org.