Future Earth is seeking a Coordination Assistant to be based in Montreal, Canada. The Coordination Assistant will work with the Head of Coordination on supporting the development and streamlining processes of Future Earth to ensure operational excellence and will also provide administrative and coordination support to specific projects.
To apply for this position, see the full posting announcement below:
Closing date and start of contract
6 February 2018 – Start date as soon as possible.
1-year contract, with possibility of renewal.
The Future Earth initiative
Future Earth is the international platform for research, innovation and collaboration, working to accelerate transformations to a sustainable world. With offices all over the world, we harness the experience and reach of thousands of scientists and innovators from across the globe. This international initiative was developed under the auspices of the Science and Technology Alliance for Global Sustainability, including the following international organisations: United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), United Nations University (UNU), World Meteorological Organization (WMO), International Council for Science (ICSU), International Social Science Council (ISSC) and the Belmont Forum.
Future Earth is served by a globally-distributed Secretariat that uniquely encompasses five Global Hubs (located in Colorado, Montreal, Paris, Stockholm, Tokyo) connected through a dynamic, networked structure. The distributed model unites a diversity of perspectives, stakeholders and geographical locations. The Secretariat works through virtual teams that ensure that the diversity of perspectives and global reach are a daily reality. The Executive Director of Future Earth is based in Montreal.
Coordination is at the core of operations, ensuring that work is managed efficiently and effectively. It involves planning and implementing clear, efficient and adaptable processes, tools and procedures to ensure that the many elements that form Future Earth work together to deliver its role.
The incumbent will provide administrative, coordination (including IT), logistical and other support to the Head of Coordination, working collaboratively with the distributed operations team, Montreal Global Hub team and, more broadly, the Future Earth distributed Secretariat. The incumbent will report to the Head of Coordination (based in Montreal).
Support development of effective and efficient operations system (40-50%):
- Support the Head of Coordination in developing, streamlining, standardising and maintaining processes (including IT tools) between global hubs and other Future Earth entities for effective programme operations and decision making;
- Administrative and coordination (including logistics) support and document preparation for Future Earth calls and in-person meetings as needed;
- Potential to expand tasks as the role develops.
Support to specific projects (30-40%):
- Provide administrative support to Scenarios CoLabs project, initiated in collaboration with the MIT Center for Collective Intelligence (CCI) as a collaborative stakeholder dialogue and engagement platform to enable the development of scenarios;
- Support in liaising with local and Canadian partners, which includes developing a working knowledge and database of key Quebec and Canada contacts and projects;
- Provide administrative and coordination support to specific collaborative projects.
Direct support to the Head of Coordination (20%):
- Plan and schedule statutory and ad-hoc meetings and conference calls, and organise relevant materials (agenda, notices, documents);
- Record minutes and help follow-up on action items;
- Other tasks as necessary.
Candidate qualifications and key competencies
- Excellent spoken and written English. Good working knowledge of French;
- Superior communication, organisational and interpersonal skills with ability to multitask and work in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to work independently, plan processes and manage projects with established deadlines and parameters;
- Strong sense of confidentiality;
- Experience with database systems and other IT communication tools is an asset;
- Sound judgment, tactful and sensitive to diverse cultures and constituents;
- Good relationship management skills;
- Availability to work outside normal working hours and to travel on occasion;
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 2 years of related work experience OR Master’s degree (or equivalent) in the field of global environmental change/sustainability or management;
- Familiarity with international organisations and demonstrated interest in sustainability-related initiatives is an asset;
- As the position is based in Montreal, the candidate requires a Work Permit for Quebec.
Salary scale: 30-40K (dependant on experience)
Applicants to this position are requested to submit a curriculum vitae, together with a cover letter describing their interest in the position, and how their skills and experience would help them meet the requirements of the role. Please also include the name and contact details of two referees. Applications - in one combined PDF file - should be sent via email with "Coordination Assistant" in the subject line to email@example.com. The closing date for applications is Wednesday, 6 February 2018. Further information on Future Earth is available on www.futureearth.org.