Hiroshima Dialogue Forum on the Sustainability-Peace Nexus in the Context of Global Change
The Hiroshima University Network for Education and Research on Peace and Sustainability (NERPS) held the first Hiroshima Dialogue Forum on the Sustainability-Peace Nexus in the Context of Global Change during August 10-11, 2019 at Hiroshima University Higashi-Hiroshima campus. The objective of this international Forum was to engage a diverse community of experts to consider complex interactions at the intersections of sustainability and peace in he contexts of rapid global changes and sustainable development goals, especially SDG 16 on “Peace, Justice, and Strong Institutions.”
The Forum was organized in close collaboration with representatives of the Hiroshima Prefecture, Japan Government’s National Agencies, regional and local private sector representatives, and international organizations based in Japan, Europe, North America. Participants from Austria, Bangladesh, Bulgaria, China, India, Japan, Philippines, South Korea, Thailand, UK, and USA engaged in the forum. The participants were from diverse communities including academia, governmental and intergovernmental organizations, international scientific programs, private sector, and public sectors. The Forum agenda enabled intensive interaction, dialogue and discourse by all participants who collectively distilled a list of priority research themes to be carried out by partners in NERPS.
Outcomes of the Forum include syntheses of the perspectives of stakeholders from various communities on challenges of the nexus of peace and sustainability and a collection of research publications that will be prepared for a special issue of the journal Sustainability Science to be published in 2020. All participants are now members of NERPS.
NERPS plans to hold the next dialogue forum on this nexus in 2021.
Hiroshima University launched a new long-term vision in April 2017 called the SPLENDOR PLAN 2017, which emphasizes the realization of a new philosophy of peace science–“Science for Sustainable Development.”
As a step towards meeting the objectives of the SPLENDOR PLAN 2017, the university established the Network for Education and Research on Peace and Sustainability (NERPS) in 2018. The main objectives of the Network are as follows:
- To identify research priorities and emerging issues related to peace and sustainable development;
- To co-design and co-implement innovative inter- and trans-disciplinary education and research projects on “Peace and Sustainability” in collaboration with a wide range of stakeholders;
- To collaborate with a wide range of local and international stakeholders, so that Hiroshima University, as a comprehensive research university, can contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and to the creation of peaceful and sustainable societies in the face of increasing global challenges;
- To establish a one-stop-center for collection and dissemination of information related to university-based research and outreach activities related to the SDGs; and
- To coordinate university-based research activities related to the SDGs.
DATEOctober 8, 2019
SHARE WITH YOUR NETWORK
Share the Stage with Leading Experts in Sustainability Research at SRI2020
Applications Now Open for Hands-on Demonstration Sessions at SRI2020
New 1.5°C Business Playbook Will Help Businesses Take Exponential Climate Action