Call for Applications: Future Earth Asia Regional Committee
UPDATE 20 August 2020
Due to various unforeseen circumstances, we regret to inform the public that we are putting on hold the formation and selection of the Asia Regional Committee at this time.
We thank you for all your efforts and we hope you can continue to support Future Earth through any of its networks: Global Research Projects, Knowledge-Action Networks, and the respective National Entities
The Regional Centre for Future Earth in Asia is calling for nominations for members of the Regional Committee (RC) for Future Earth in Asia.
The Regional Center for Future Earth in Asia works to coordinate and support sustainability research in Asia and the Pacific, fostering knowledge that builds solutions to the challenges facing the region. The Regional Advisory Committee (RAC) was set up as an interim structure in 2015 and it has approved the establishment of a Regional Committee with responsibility for overall policy and direction in the development of Future Earth in Asia.
The deadline for applications has been extended to 29th February 2020.
Asia Regional Committee
The Regional Committee for Asia is the body providing overall guidance, strategic direction and vision to the Regional Centre in Asia. Its role is to effectively advocate for Future Earth in the region and regional interests in the global Future Earth platform.
The Future Earth Asia Regional Committee has the following functions:
- Provide strategic direction for the work of the Regional Centre
- Approve the Regional Centre’s implementation plan
- Promote the establishment of FE national committees
- Facilitate the interaction among national committees, regional entities and the broader global Future Earth network in coordination with the Regional Centre
- Identify, review and approve partnerships with regional and national entities as well as endorsements of events for sponsorship/partnership in coordination with the Regional Centre
- Provide guidance on the establishment of new sub-regional entities and national entities in Asia
For the initial appointment, existing RAC members selected to be part of the RC will have a term of 2 years while new members will have 3 years. The Regional Committee member positions are voluntary with financial support for attending the face-to-face Committee meetings. View terms of reference here.
- Criteria for selection
- Strong commitment to and understanding of global and regional sustainability issues as reflected in rich experience in research or practice
- Ample background in managing and/or governing organizations or projects
- Track record in transcending disciplinary, sectoral, and national boundaries
- Considerable experience in the development of local, regional and global activities and networks
- Availability and motivation to serve Future Earth (participate in at least one face-to-face meeting, attend online meetings/teleconferences per year, occasional attendance to workshops).
Future Earth is particularly seeking to achieve balance in the RC membership in terms of geography, gender, sectors of activity in the Asian region, expertise and/or disciplinary background of its representatives. The RC should include natural and social scientists, as well as societal partners. At least 30% of the membership should come from outside the academic and research fields. To ensure continuity and collective memory of the Regional Advisory Committee, initial selection will include 3-5 of the current Regional Advisory Committee members.
- Application and selection process
Future Earth is pleased to make this open call for membership to the Regional Committee for Asia. Potential members can self-nominate or be nominated by others. Nominations form can be downloaded here and should be accompanied by a curriculum vitae (plus a statement of interest by the nominee, in case of a nomination by others). All nominations and documents should be submitted to FutureEarth@chikyu.ac.jp by the now extended deadline of 29th February 2020.
DATENovember 22, 2019
AUTHORFuture Earth Staff Member
SHARE WITH YOUR NETWORK
New Research: Tackling the Alarming Decline in Nature Requires a ‘Safety Net’ of Multiple, Ambitious Goals
Call for Nominations: Steering Committee for Future Earth Systems of Sustainable Consumption and Production Knowledge-Action Network
African Early Career Researchers Network and Train on Pathways to Sustainability