Future Earth Vacancy: Deputy Director for the Swedish Global Hub in Stockholm
Future Earth is looking for a senior scientist to fill the role of deputy director for its Global Secretariat Hub in Stockholm, Sweden. The deputy director is a hands-on position to support the activities of Future Earth including engagement of the Swedish research community, fundraising and staff management, in close collaboration with the Global Hub Director.
Future Earth is an interdisciplinary research network developing knowledge to tackle the biggest challenges of our time – climate change and sustainability. Our mission is to advance research to support transformations to global sustainability. The secretariat supports the network by developing workshops and conferences, synthesis and policy briefs, capacity building/training and communication. The Swedish Global Hub forms part of the distributed secretariat which supports the network in collaboration with global hubs in Paris, Tokyo, Colorado and Montreal as well as regional offices in other locations. The Swedish hub hosts the Earth Commission, an expert assessment to define the conditions for a safe and just planet to underpin the setting of science-based targets for governments, cities and businesses.
- developing and implementing a strategy for deepening the engagement of the Swedish research community in Future Earth
- developing applications for funding, in collaboration with the Global Hub Director
- supporting the development and implementation of the international activities of the Global Hub, e.g. developing projects and networks, scientific oversight of meetings and conferences, science-policy briefs and engagement
- supporting the management of the team associated with the Global Hub (ca. 10 people)
- supporting the liaison with funders (reporting and budget management)
- MSc or PhD in a field of global environmental change or sustainability research
- 10 years’ experience working in research or science management
- Personnel management experience
- A broad knowledge of Earth system science and transdisciplinary research
- A strong network within the Swedish research community
- Diplomatic skills and ability to access top level leadership for developing partnerships
- Leadership skills including proven experience in multicultural teams in an international environment
- Experience in successful fundraising, proposal writing and reporting to funders, preferably with both private and public funders. Knowledge and experience of the EC funding landscape and advantage.
- An initiative taker, with a capacity for developing and implementing strategies in collaboration with a broader team
- Excellent project management skills, including budget management, with experience managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective and trusting working relationships with colleagues in research and administration.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Fluency in Swedish and English.
- Experience of workshop design and moderation
- Experience working with communities outside of academia (private, public, NGO)
International travel, and willingness to lead and participate in regular international virtual meetings, some outside of normal working hours, are required for this position.
This position is based at Stiftelsen Future Earth Sverige c/o Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, Stockholm and reports to the Global Hub Director. Permission to work in Sweden is required.
Applicants are requested to submit a curriculum vitae together with a cover letter describing their motivation for the position, how their skills and experience match the role. And include the name and contact details of two referees. Applications should be sent via email with ‘Future Earth` in the subject line to email@example.com
Applications will be considered on an ongoing basis and at the latest by 2 May 2021 with a start date as soon as possible. For further information contact firstname.lastname@example.org phone: +46 8 744 16 60
DATEMarch 31, 2021
AUTHORFuture Earth Staff Member
SHARE WITH YOUR NETWORK
Research scientist in support of the Biosphere Working Group of the Earth Commission
Vacancy: Science Communicator for the Earth Commission Secretariat (Stockholm, Sweden)
Vacancy: Science Lead for the Earth Commission Secretariat (Stockholm, Sweden)