Job opening: Director, US Global Hub of the Future Earth Secretariat and Chief Executive Officer, Future Earth US
Requisition Number: 30269
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Employment Type: Research Faculty
Posting Close Date: 19-May-2021
Date Posted: 04-May-2021
We are encouraging applications for a Director US Global Hub of the Future Earth Secretariat and Chief Executive Officer – Future Earth US to join our team! The Director will engage the world’s leading specialists in sustainability and environmental research from a trans-disciplinary perspective. The director will involve various partners in strategic dialogues with these research communities to both understand and find solutions to some of the world’s most pressing problems, based on the best available knowledge. This leader will ensure that Future Earth integrates this knowledge, based on research performed with integrity from different subject areas in a process of collaboration and co-design.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
About the US Global Hub of Future Earth and Future Earth US Future Earth is an international organization that works to build and support a global network of scientists, researchers, and innovators who collaborate to create a more sustainable earth. Knowledge action networks and global research projects are the mechanisms through which Future Earth advances systems-based research and approaches to addressing global sustainability challenges. The day-to-day operations of Future Earth are carried out in 5 Global Hubs (Canada, France, Japan, Sweden, and the United States) and 4 Regional Centers and Offices (South Africa, Japan, Cyprus, and India). The US Global Hub is supported by a hosting consortium consisting of the University of Colorado – Boulder, George Mason University, and Future Earth US – a Colorado-based 501(c)(3) organization.
The Future Earth Initiative
Future Earth convenes researchers and scholars from all parts of the world, across different societal and academic sectors, and across the natural, social and human sciences. Future Earth initiates and supports international collaboration between these researchers and partners to identify and generate the integrated knowledge needed for successful transformations towards societies that provide good and fair lives for all within a stable and resilient Earth system. Future Earth uses rigorous transdisciplinary research and systems thinking approach throughout its work in which basic and applied research are combined to generate impactful, solution oriented knowledge to inform and guide decisions by policymakers and practitioners at all levels of governance.
Future Earth is led and supported by a governing council that includes the International Science Council (ISC), the Belmont Forum of funding agencies, the United Nations Educational Scientific Cultural Organization (UNESCO), the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), the United Nations University (UNU), and the World Meteorological Organization (WMO).
A globally distributed Secretariat
The architecture of the globally distributed Secretariat currently encompasses 9 Global and Regional Hubs and located in 8 different countries, connected through a dynamic, networked structure. The distributed model unites a diversity of perspectives, partners, and geographical locations. Future Earth is committed to inclusivity and is in the midst of a transition to a stronger, more diverse, more distributed structure.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Be employed by the University of Colorado at Boulder and Future Earth US to work with and report to the US Global Hub Board, and to work collaboratively with the global Future Earth Secretariat Executive Team (including Directors of Global and Regional Hubs in 10+ countries) to support overall leadership of the Future Earth secretariat.
- Serve as the Chief Executive Officer of Future Earth US, manages a staff of 10+ people, including Future Earth Global Leads for Research and Innovation, Communication, Networks, and IT, and is responsible for an annual budget of 3 to 4 million USD.
- Work to coordinate and support a portfolio of work that includes the Sustainability Research and Innovation Congress, The Earth Leadership Program, Anthropocene Magazine, and the Partnership for Resilience and Preparedness (PREP) and they are responsible for overseeing local operations, financial and human resources management, and communications pertaining to their Global Hub.
- Engage with the US Global Hub / Future Earth US Board, which provides oversight for the nonprofit, and the hosting consortium to develop local-global partnerships and ensure equitable and efficient distribution of hosting responsibilities and resources.
What You Should Know
Must be able to provide documentation of eligibility to work in the US within three days of receiving a job offer.
What We Can Offer
The salary range is $150,000.00-$220,000.00.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
What We Require
- University degree (Ph.D. or equivalent).
- Understanding of transdisciplinary global environmental change and sustainability issues; integrated systems thinking on socio-environmental interactions and sustainable solutions.
- 10+ years of experience in managerial positions and/or as part of the executive team.
- Experience in implementing organizational change/transition.
What You Will Need
- Proven record of strong financial and human resources management skills.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with diverse partners.
- Proven track record in successful resource mobilization.
- Excellent communications skills.
- Fluency in English.
We are seeking an experienced leader and manager with a strong national and international profile, who will:
- Support the Future Earth staff in achieving strategic and programmatic objectives, and raising both general and program-specific funds.
- Strengthen Future Earth nationally and globally through the development of strategic priorities and thematic areas, and implementing new initiatives.
- Ensure integration across the hubs to achieve optimal collaboration, communication and cooperation between the various parts of the headquarters team.
- Develop strategic partnerships and programming to develop a national Future Earth network within the US and to better connect US institutions of higher ed into the global networks.
- Facilitate dialogue with key sectors of society.
- Values & Ethics: Demonstrates personal behaviour that integrates and promotes strong values of trust, inclusivity, respect, transparency and fairness into the organization’s practices.
- Strategic Thinking: Translates vision into concrete direction and plans. Integrates multiple domains of information and identifies the links. Seeks broad perspectives, expertise and clarification when required. Identifies solutions, alternatives, and consequences.
- Engagement: Implements inclusive, cooperative approaches with peers, staff, and superiors. Promotes consensus across diverse groups, interests, and opinions. Mobilizes the team to achieve organizational goals. Communicates and supports organizational decisions. Follows through on commitments. Communicates vision and information with clarity and commitment.
- Action Management: Identifies and communicates priorities, milestones, timelines, and performance measures. Ensures necessary resources, processes, and systems are in place. Performs risk analysis to assess viability of opportunities. Seeks and heeds early warning signs, adapting plans and strategies as required. Follows through on the organization’s business plan from planning, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating to reporting.
- People Management: Implements a strategy to ensure workforce capacity to meet current and future organizational needs. Sets clear expectations and provides clear direction. Coaches, challenges, and provides opportunities for growth. Builds complementary teams. Manages staff workload. Provides honest, straightforward feedback and manages non-performance.
- Financial Management: Raises, allocates and manages resources transparently. Implements strategies to achieve operational efficiencies and value for money. Operates and monitors rigorous systems for Financial Information Management. Acts on audit, evaluation, and other objective performance information.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter
- 1 Letter of Recommendation (Not Confidential)
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Statement of Research Philosophy
Review of applications will begin on Thursday, May 20th.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu
DATEMay 4, 2021
AUTHORFuture Earth Staff Member
SHARE WITH YOUR NETWORK
Call for Representatives from Low and Middle Income Countries to Join the Future Earth Assembly
Future Earth vacancy: Senior Science Officer (Paris, France)
Future Earth Vacancy: Ocean Knowledge Action Science Officer (France)