Future Earth Vacancy: Intern (Paris, France)
Future Earth is a major international research platform providing the knowledge and support to accelerate transformations to a sustainable world. Future Earth is a 10-year initiative to advance Global Sustainability Science, build capacity in this rapidly expanding area of research and provide an international research agenda to inspire natural and social scientists working around the world.
Future Earth is managed by a global Secretariat, which consists of five Global Hubs based in Colorado, Montreal, Paris, Stockholm and Tokyo. The Secretariat is complemented by Regional Centres in Asia, the Middle East and North Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, and Africa.
The Paris Hub operates under the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS). The hub offices are located at the Jussieu campus of Sorbonne University in the 5th arrondissement of central Paris. The current team has 7 full-time staff members.
Future Earth Paris Hub is currently seeking an intern for 4 month starting September 2021.
The internship mission
The complex spatial and temporal interactions that exist between Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) must be accounted for in order to comply with the aim, set in 2015 by the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the SDGs, to provide a common, integrated global framework for peace and prosperity for people and the planet, now and into the future.
Emphasizing the limitations of dominant research modes in reaching this goal, in 2019, the Global Sustainable Development Report laid out a framework for researchers, practitioners, decisionmakers, funders and civil society to work together to achieve “universally acceptable and mutually beneficial sustainability science,” and identified the urgent need to produce knowledge and understanding in three key areas: systemic interactions, competing development agendas, and transformations in concrete contexts.
To build understanding of these key areas, Future Earth’s Science-based Pathways for Sustainability initiative aims to serve as an ‘incubator for engagement’ by fostering the development of transdisciplinary research through an open Community of Practice, convening researchers from diverse disciplines who engage with societal actors (e.g. civil society, governments, private sector) in processes of adaptive learning to design, implement, and evaluate pathways to sustainability.
The intern will be mainly working on the development and implementation of the initiative’s outreach and communication strategy. Their tasks may include:
- Developing a monthly newsletter for the Pathways initiative;
- Identifying, researching, drafting and editing content on the website page, social media accounts and other digital communication outlets presences;
- Creating blog posts, briefs, brochures, etc. to promote the initiative and its research outcomes;
- Contributing to the development of an online platform that fosters networking between researchers involved in projects relevant to the Pathways initiative;
- Helping with the organization of various Future Earth events.
- Excellent level of written and spoken English;
- Currently enrolled in a Master’s level program in a relevant field (and will remain enrolled for the duration of the internship);
- Knowledge of sustainability and environmental challenges, and interest in transdisciplinary research;
- Motivated, organised and able to work independently to deadlines as well as to follow instructions, with attention to detail and good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Must be able to commute to our offices located in Paris (offices’ rules regarding sanitary measures are constantly evolving with currently both presence at the office and work from home);
- EU citizens or in possession of a relevant French visa for the duration of the stage and eligible for a ‘Convention de Stage’1.
591,51€ per month (legally bound) plus associated benefits (subsidized access to University restaurants and support to local transport costs).
To apply, please send your Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a one-page cover letter written in English with the subject “Future Earth Internship” to: firstname.lastname@example.org by August 1st 2021.
1A convention de stage is a document required by the French government for any student interested in doing an internship in France. It is similar to a job contract, in that it specifies the missions and the expectations demanded of interns. It must be signed by the educational institution with which the student is affiliated.
DATEJuly 7, 2021
AUTHORFuture Earth Staff Member
SHARE WITH YOUR NETWORK
Call for Representatives from Low and Middle Income Countries to Join the Future Earth Assembly
Future Earth vacancy: Senior Science Officer (Paris, France)
Future Earth Vacancy: Ocean Knowledge Action Science Officer (France)