Future Earth is committed to protecting the privacy of our members and website users. This policy explains what types of information are collected by Future Earth’s websites, including but not limited to the following:
- other Future Earth programs, initiative, managed, or sponsored sites
This policy also explains how your information is used.
This policy may be updated periodically.
No data transmission over the internet is 100% secure. While we strive to protect your information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of such information.
Our sites include links to external websites. These links do not fall under any of our domains, and therefore Future Earth is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of external websites. Your use of any linked website is solely at your own risk.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or requests.
Types of Data that We Collect
Personal Data – Information You Provide
The Personal Data we collect may include your name, organization, work title, email address and professional information.
We may collect personal data when:
- You sign up to receive communication from us
- You register to join any of the networks that we administer
- You are part of any of our networks
- You are a recipient of support/grants/reimbursements
- You are receiving our newsletter
- You contact us through email, phone, our website or social media
- You sign up/attend a seminar/event/conference associated with Future Earth
- You leave your contact details to a Future Earth representative during a meeting/event
- You open an email from us or click on a link in an email from us. (Data such as your IP address may be collected automatically).
- You apply for funding, vacancies, committee/board membership
Future Earth uses your IP address to administer websites and analyze metrics used to track website visitor traffic.
Cookies are pieces of data that a website transfers to a user’s computer (more specifically, to the user’s internet browser) in order to provide an improved user experience (such as remembering the user’s preferences and settings) and to better understand and analyze how our websites are used.
Please see the links below for guidance on how to modify your web browser’s cookies settings on the most popular browsers:
Please note that if you reject cookies or disable cookies, your use of certain features or functions on our Websites may be limited.
How We Use Collected Information
Future Earth processes personal data mainly for the purposes defined below and for any further purpose specified at time of collection.
- To inform you about our work and the work of our networks
- To comply with legal requirements regarding storage of agreements
- To send important information, such as changes in our terms and policies
- To create networks for our organization’s purpose
- To organize events/conferences/meetings
Future Earth maintains a directory to help members of our community connect with one another. When you join Future Earth via the member portal, the profile information you provide will be included in the member directory. Future Earth staff may use the the member directory to contact you about opportunities that may be of interest to you based on your profile information.
Future Earth publishes several electronic newsletters, bulletins, and announcements. Any data we gather about email communications behavior (such as opens and clicks) is used only to help us send you the most relevant communications.
Information that may be disclosed to another party
We may share information with other companies that process data on our behalf. This enables us to perform our services, such as building networks and connections between individuals and organizations.
As a network organization, Future Earth may also share information with vetted structures and partners, such as regional, national and local structures; Knowledge-Action Networks; Global Research Projects; and the Anthropocene Magazine. The information is shared so Future Earth can better organize and mobilize its networks and provide you with opportunities that we believe may be of interest to you.
Future Earth does not sell your personal data.
Your Responsibility to Protect Privacy
Individuals (such as leaders, coordinators, and staff) associated with Future Earth structures and partners also agree to protect the privacy of any information they may be granted access to.