Future Earth is committed to protecting your privacy and data. This policy explains what types of information are collected by Future Earth. It also explains how your information is used and disclosed; and your rights regarding your personal data.
This policy may be updated periodically.
If you have any questions, you can contact us by email at email@example.com
Collecting and Using Your Personal Data
Types of Data that We Collect
We may ask you to provide us with certain personally identifiable information that can be used to contact or identify you. Personally identifiable information may include, but is not limited to:
- First name and last name
- Electronic or physical addresses
- Usage data
- Professional information such as your work title, organization
- Demographic information such as your gender or geographic location
- Bank account information to complete financial transactions, such as to pay for products and/or services or for disbursements for honorariums, reimbursements, scholarships or fellowships
We may collect personal data when:
- You sign up to receive communication from us
- You register to join any of the networks that we administer
- You are part of any of our networks
- You are a recipient of support/grants/reimbursements
- You are receiving our newsletter
- You contact us through email, phone, our website or social media
- You sign up/attend a seminar/event/conference associated with Future Earth
- You leave your contact details to a Future Earth representative during a meeting/event
- You open an email from us or click on a link in an email from us. (Data such as your IP address may be collected automatically).
- You apply for funding, vacancies, or committee/board membership
- You are nominated by the Future Earth community for various opportunities
Usage data is collected automatically when using our sites.
Usage data may include information such as your device’s Internet Protocol address (e.g. IP address), browser type, browser version, the pages of our sites that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data. Future Earth uses your IP address to administer sites and analyze metrics used to track visitor traffic.
When you access our sites by or through a mobile device, We may collect certain information automatically, including, but not limited to, the type of mobile device you use, your mobile device unique ID, the IP address of your mobile device, your mobile operating system, the type of mobile Internet browser You use, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
We may also collect information that your browser sends whenever you visit our sites or when you access the sites by or through a mobile device.
Tracking Technologies and Cookies
How We Use Collected Information
Future Earth does not sell your personal data. We process personal data mainly for the purposes defined below and for any further purpose specified at the time of collection.
- To provide and maintain our sites and services, including to monitor the usage of our sites.
- To manage our accounts: to manage your registration as a user of our sites. The personal data you provide can give you access to different functionalities of our sites and services that are available to you as a registered user or member of Future Earth.
- For the performance of a contract: the development, compliance and undertaking of the purchase contract for the products, items or services you have purchased or of any other contract with us through the sites and services.
- To contact you: to contact you by email, telephone calls, SMS, or other equivalent forms of electronic communication, such as a mobile application’s push notifications regarding updates or informative communications related to the functionalities, products or contracted services, including the security updates, when necessary or reasonable for their implementation.
- To provide you with news, special offers and general information about other goods, services, opportunities and events which we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or expressed interest in unless you have opted not to receive such information.
- To manage your requests: to attend and manage your requests to us.
- For business transfers: we may use your information to evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal data held by us about our service users and members is among the assets transferred.
- For other purposes: we may use your information for other purposes, such as data analysis, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and to evaluate and improve our services, products, sites, marketing and your experience.
- To inform you about our work and the work of our networks
- To comply with legal requirements regarding storage of agreements
- To send important information, such as changes in our terms and policies
- To create networks for our organization’s purpose, for example:
- Member Directory: Future Earth maintains a directory to help members of our community connect with one another. When you join Future Earth via the member portal, the profile information you provide will be included in the member directory. Future Earth staff may use the the member directory to contact you about opportunities that may be of interest to you based on your profile information.
- To organize events/conferences/meetings
Sharing of Your Personal Data
As a network organization, Future Earth may also share information with vetted structures and partners to enable us to perform our services, such as building, organizing, and mobilizing networks and connections between individuals and organizations; and providing you with opportunities and information that we believe may be of interest to you. These structures can include but are not limited to as regional, national and local structures; Knowledge-Action Networks; Global Research Projects; the Sustainability, Research & Innovation (SRI) Congress; and the Anthropocene Magazine.
We may share your personal information in the following situations:
- With service providers: we may share your personal information with service providers to monitor and analyze the use of our sites, for payment processing, to contact you.
- For business transfers: we may share or transfer your personal information in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of our assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our organization to another organization.
- With business partners: We may share your information with our business partners to offer you certain products, services, opportunities or promotions.
- With other users: when you share personal information or otherwise interact in the public areas with other users, such information may be viewed by all users and may be publicly distributed outside. If you interact with other users or register through a third-party social media service, your contacts on the third-party social media service may see your name, profile, pictures and description of your activity. Similarly, other users will be able to view descriptions of your activity, communicate with you and view your profile.
- With your consent: We may disclose your personal information for any other purpose with your consent.
Transfer of Your Personal Data
Your information, including personal data, is processed at Future Earth’s operating offices and in any other places where the parties involved in the processing are located. It means that this information may be transferred to — and maintained on — computers located outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where the data protection laws may differ than those from your jurisdiction.
Retention of Your Personal Data
We will also retain usage data for internal analysis purposes. Usage data is generally retained for a shorter period of time, except when this data is used to strengthen the security or to improve the functionality of our sites, or we are legally obligated to retain this data for longer time periods.
Security of Your Personal Data
The security of Your Personal Data is important to Us, but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. While We strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect Your Personal Data, We cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Your Responsibility to Protect Privacy
Individuals (such as leaders, coordinators, staff, and volunteers) associated with Future Earth structures and networks also agree to protect the privacy of any information they may be granted access to as part of their work with Future Earth. They also agree to only use the information for its intended purpose.
Detailed Information on the Processing of Your Personal Data
The service providers we use may have access to your personal data. These third-party vendors collect, store, use, process and transfer information about your activity on our sites accordance with their privacy policies.
We may use third-party Service providers to monitor and analyze the use of our sites.
Google Analytics is a web analytics service offered by Google that tracks and reports website traffic. Google uses the data collected to track and monitor the use of our sites. This data is shared with other Google services. Google may use the collected data to contextualize and personalize the ads of its own advertising network.
For more information on the privacy practices of Google, please visit the Google Privacy & Terms web page: https://policies.google.com/privacy
We may use Your Personal Data to contact You with newsletters, marketing or promotional materials and other information that may be of interest to You. You may opt-out of receiving any, or all, of these communications from Us by following the unsubscribe link or instructions provided in any email We send or by contacting Us.
We may use Email Marketing Service Providers to manage and send emails to You.
We may provide paid products and/or services within the Sites. In that case, we may use third-party services for payment processing (e.g. payment processors).
When You use Our Sites to pay a product and/or service via bank transfer, We may ask You to provide information to facilitate this transaction and to verify Your identity.
Legal Basis for Processing Personal Data under GDPR
We may process Personal Data under the following conditions:
- Consent: You have given Your consent for processing Personal Data for one or more specific purposes.
- Performance of a contract: Provision of personal data is necessary for the performance of an agreement with you and/or for any pre-contractual obligations thereof.
- Legal obligations: processing personal data is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which the organization is subject.
- Vital interests: processing personal data is necessary in order to protect your vital interests or of another natural person.
- Public interests: processing personal data is related to a task that is carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the organization.
- Legitimate interests: processing personal data is necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the organization.
In any case, Future Earth will gladly help to clarify the specific legal basis that applies to the processing, and in particular whether the provision of personal data is a statutory or contractual requirement, or a requirement necessary to enter into a contract.
Your Rights under the GDPR
The Organization undertakes to respect the confidentiality of Your Personal Data and to guarantee You can exercise Your rights.
- Request access to Your Personal Data. The right to access, update or delete the information We have on You. Whenever made possible, you can access, update or request deletion of Your Personal Data directly within Your account settings section. If you are unable to perform these actions yourself, please contact Us to assist You. This also enables You to receive a copy of the Personal Data We hold about You.
- Request correction of the Personal Data that We hold about You. You have the right to to have any incomplete or inaccurate information We hold about You corrected.
- Object to processing of Your Personal Data. This right exists where We are relying on a legitimate interest as the legal basis for Our processing and there is something about Your particular situation, which makes You want to object to our processing of Your Personal Data on this ground. You also have the right to object where We are processing Your Personal Data for direct marketing purposes.
- Request erasure of Your Personal Data. You have the right to ask Us to delete or remove Personal Data when there is no good reason for Us to continue processing it.
- Request the transfer of Your Personal Data. We will provide to You, or to a third-party You have chosen, Your Personal Data in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format. Please note that this right only applies to automated information which You initially provided consent for Us to use or where We used the information to perform a contract with You.
- Withdraw Your consent. You have the right to withdraw Your consent on using your Personal Data. If You withdraw Your consent, We may not be able to provide You with access to certain specific functionalities of the Service.
Exercising of Your GDPR Data Protection Rights
You may exercise Your rights of access, rectification, cancellation and opposition by contacting Us. Please note that we may ask You to verify Your identity before responding to such requests. If You make a request, We will try our best to respond to You as soon as possible.
You have the right to complain to a Data Protection Authority about Our collection and use of Your Personal Data. For more information, if You are in the European Economic Area (EEA), please contact Your local data protection authority in the EEA.
Links to Other Websites
We have no control over and assume no responsibility for the content, privacy policies or practices of any third party sites or services.
- Account means a unique account created for You to access our sites or parts of our sites.
- Organization (referred to as either “the organization”, “we”, “us” or “our” in this Agreement) refers to Future Earth. For the purpose of the GDPR, the organization is the Data Controller.
- Cookies are small files that are placed on your computer, mobile device or any other device by a website, containing the details of your browsing history on that website among its many uses.
- Data Controller, for the purposes of the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation), refers to the Organization as the legal person which alone or jointly with others determines the purposes and means of the processing of Personal Data.
- Device means any device that can access the Sites such as a computer, a cellphone or a digital tablet.
- Facebook Fan Page is a public profile named Future Earth specifically created by the Organization on the Facebook social network, accessible from https://www.facebook.com/futureearth.org
- Personal Data is any information that relates to an identified or identifiable individual. For the purposes for GDPR, Personal Data means any information relating to You such as a name, an identification number, location data, online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity.
- Service Provider means any natural or legal person who processes the data on behalf of the Organization. It refers to third-party companies or individuals employed by the Organization to facilitate the Sites, to provide the Siteson behalf of the Organization, to perform services related to the Sitesor to assist the Organization in analyzing how the Site is used. For the purpose of the GDPR, Service Providers are considered Data Processors.
- Third-party Social Media Service refers to any website or any social network website through which a User can log in or create an account to use the Sites.
- Usage Data refers to data collected automatically, either generated by the use of the Sites or from the Sites infrastructure itself (for example, the duration of a page visit).
- You means the individual accessing or using the Sites, or the company, or other legal entity on behalf of which such individual is accessing or using the Sites, as applicable. Under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation), You can be referred to as the Data Subject or as the User as you are the individual using the Sites.