Location : Montreal (Canada)
Start of contract : October 2018
Duration : One year
Employment Type : Full-time
Contract Salary scale : Commensurate with experience
Supervisor : Future Earth Executive Director, working with the Montreal Hub Manager
Role and responsibilities
We are looking for a postdoctoral fellow to join our team to help lead the development of a Research and Innovation Agenda at the intersection of AI/Information and Communication Technologies, climate change and global sustainability. The fellow must have expertise in a field relevant to AI, big data, digital innovation, operational research. The candidate is expected to conduct research and analysis (leading to a peer-reviewed publication), help facilitate dialogue and mobilize a broad group of international experts at the intersection of AI/digital and global sustainability to develop a cutting-edge, forward-looking Research and Innovation Agenda. The candidate will be responsible for building strong linkages with the AI and digital community. He/she will help conduct literature review, as well as conduct interviews with high-level experts, and help shape and facilitate an online dialogue and in-person workshop. The candidate will work as part of a team with both a Research and a Project Coordinator and with a senior advisor from the Earth systems and policy field.
- Recent PhD graduate (under 2 years) in a field relevant to AI, big data, digital innovation, operational research or other related discipline;
- Understanding of global environmental change and sustainability issues;
- Demonstrated experience in a leadership or project management position;
- Ability to synthesize and communicate complex technical concepts to a non-technical audience;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with diverse stakeholders in a multicultural environment
- Experience with online dialogues, facilitation or community management a plus;
- Full command of written and spoken English; working knowledge of French a plus.
- Sound judgment, tactful and sensitive to diverse cultures and constituents
- Good relationship management skills
- Availability to work outside normal working hours
- Availability to travel internationally
- As the position is based in Montreal, the candidate requires a Work Permit for Quebec
This is a full time, one-year position. We offer an extended health benefits package and a pension plan.