Future Earth vacancy: Six-month internship (Paris, France)
The Future Earth Paris Hub is currently seeking an intern for a six-month internship position starting in August or September 2019.
Future Earth is a major international research platform providing the knowledge and support to accelerate transformations to a sustainable world. Future Earth is a 10-year initiative to advance Global Sustainability Science, build capacity in this rapidly expanding area of research and provide an international research agenda to inspire natural and social scientists working around the world. Future Earth is managed by a global Secretariat, which consists of five Global Hubs based in Colorado, Montreal, Paris, Stockholm and Tokyo. The Secretariat is complemented by Regional Centres in Asia, the Middle East and North Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, and Africa.
The Paris Hub operates under the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS). The hub offices are located at the Jussieu campus of Sorbonne University in the 5th arrondissement of central Paris. The current team has 6 full-time staff members.
As part of its work to support Early Career Researchers and Professionals working in sustainability science, the Paris Hub is coordinating support to the development of a virtual, global open event during the UNFCCC Conference of Parties in December 2019. The virtual event will focus on the main climate and ocean themes addressed in the CoP and will combine scientific sessions with less traditional methods of knowledge sharing. The conference is being led by early career researchers and professionals, with guidance and support from the Ocean Knowledge Action Network (KAN) which is supported by Future Earth, WCRP, SCOR and IOC-UNESCO, in partnership with LOCEAN.
Future Earth Paris Hub is currently seeking an intern for a 6 month internship position starting in August / September 2019 to support development of this virtual event along with other ECR initiatives being implemented by Future Earth and LOCEAN. The intern will be co-supervised by Future Earth and LOCEAN and will work closely with members of the organising team to carry out the following:
- Work with members of the organising team to conceptualise the structure and organisation of the virtual event and develop guidelines for contributors.
- Contribute to the development of the conference program including updates as contributors and sessions are confirmed.
- Contribute to the development of communications documents related to the conference for potential contributors, presenters, participants, and technical and financial partners.
- Contact potential contributors to encourage their participation in the conference.
- Liaise with conference contributors, create and maintain an online schedule for the conference, and ensure good organisation of different sessions.
- Work with partners to diffuse information on the conference in order to attract participants.
- Draft social media content and contribute to communications materials to be diffused during the running of the virtual event.
- Provide logistical and technical support to the running of the conference during test sessions and then during CoP 25 in December 2019.
- Contribute to a post-conference document and communications materials summarising the key messages and discussions held during the conference.
As per French legislation, the salary for this internship is 568.76 € per month. The intern will also be eligible for associated benefits including subsidized access to University restaurant and support to local transport costs.
- Excellent level of written and spoken English (French and/or Spanish communication skills would also be useful)
- Currently enrolled in a Master’s level program in a relevant field (and will remain enrolled for the duration of the internship)
- Knowledge of sustainability and environmental challenges, and interest in transdisciplinary and interdisciplinary research
- Experience, or strong interest, in organising events and conferences. Experience or interest in organising virtual conferences will be highly appreciated. No fear of technical challenges.
- Dynamic, motivated, organised and able to work independently to deadlines as well as to follow instructions, with attention to detail and good interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience using Google’s Online Office Tools (i.e. Drive, Docs, Sheets, Calendar, Forms, etc.)
- Available for 6 months starting in August 2019
Note that applicants must be in possession of a relevant French visa for the duration of the internship and eligible for a ‘Convention de Stage’.
To apply, please send your Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a one-page cover letter with the subject “Future Earth Internship” to: email@example.com by 5 July 2019.
 A convention de stage is a document required by the French government for any student interested in doing an internship in France. It is similar to a job contract, in that it specifies the missions and the expectations demanded of interns. It must be signed by the educational institution with which the student is affiliated.
DATEJune 27, 2019
AUTHORFutureEarth Staff Member
SHARE WITH YOUR NETWORK