Future Earth vacancy: Communications Lead (Boulder, USA)
Future Earth encourages applications for a strategic and creative individual to lead our global communications and build our online brand and community. This individual will coordinate our communications work, and work with a small international team to build our digital presence. Future Earth is an international platform for research, innovation, and collaboration working to accelerate transformations to a sustainable world. With offices around the world, we harness the experience and reach of thousands of scientists and innovators from across the globe with the goal of solving the most pressing challenges facing the planet and its people.
The Future Earth Communications Lead will work with the Future Earth executive team, and key Future Earth program leads, to develop communication activities that amplify the voices of Future Earth’s global community of researchers and innovators in policy, business, and non-governmental organizations – all working to generate new knowledge for sustainability. The person stepping into this role will take an entrepreneurial approach to our communications and our digital expansion, setting targets for growing followers and building readership for Future Earth’s digital platforms. As a communications lead, we are looking for an individual who can help set strategy, and role up their sleeves to develop the key products under that strategy. As the Future Earth communications team is small and globally distributed, the communications lead will be deeply involved in all parts of our communications work. We are looking for an individual who lives and breathes digital media curation and management, enjoys developing creative digital content within a complex, global organization, and thrives on problem-solving under tight deadlines.
This position will be based at the University of Colorado Boulder, where Future Earth staff are hosted by the Sustainability Innovation Lab (SILC) within the Sustainability, Energy, and Environment Complex (SEEC).
- Deliver key annual communications products aligned with our Future Earth core strategic activities.
- Work with a globally distributed executive team to develop a communications calendar and set of communications priorities for the organization.
- Work with the executive team to manage and grow the globally distributed communications budget.
- Supervision of the new Future Earth website (WordPress)
- Curate, edit and post regular updates to the website, including news, blogs, events, and other content.
- Design and maintain website homepage and other site content to meet outstanding standards for professionalism, including copy-editing and image selection.
- Collaborate with secretariat and partners to implement edits and additions as requested.
- Initiate and write/edit news coverage, blogs, or press releases for key events related to Future Earth networks and communities, often on tight deadlines.
- Lead digital work on other Future Earth-hosted initiatives, such as our Media Lab and Earth Commission website.
- Delegate, design, and carry out social media campaigns around key events and priorities for Future Earth and track their results, often collaborating with secretariat based in different time zones.
- Implement and update the social media strategy for Future Earth, encompassing building a consistent voice and branding and integrating innovative tools for rapidly growing engagement with target audiences.
- Maintain up-to-date digital and print global communications materials.
- Manage and edit the monthly newsletter.
- Assist with project management of annual reports and other internal documents.
- Handle relationships regarding communications needs with secretariat, regional centers and offices, Global Research Projects, and Knowledge-Action Networks.
- Represent and advocate for Anthropocene magazine, the premier publication of Future Earth, especially during the launch of an issue or during matching grant periods.
- Support communications and advancement efforts within the Colorado Hub of Future Earth.
Click here for full details and to submit an application
DATEJanuary 28, 2020
AUTHORFuture Earth Staff Member
SHARE WITH YOUR NETWORK
Call for Applications: Hosting the Future Earth Ocean Knowledge-Action Network
Vacancy: Research Assistant (Montreal, Canada)
Call for Applications: Transdisciplinary Research for Pathways to Sustainability