Job opening: SOLAS Executive Director
The Surface Ocean-Lower Atmosphere Study (SOLAS), a global research project of Future Earth, is seeking an Executive Director to lead its International Project Office (IPO). This office is based in Germany at the GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel, a leading marine science institution. The new director will lead SOLAS’s international efforts to implement its science plan and will organise the project’s yearly meeting, among other tasks. The deadline for applications is 15 November 2017.
To learn more about this opportunity, see the announcement here.
To learn more about SOLAS’S work, visit the project website.
SOLAS, which was founded in 2004, seeks to “understand the key biogeochemical-physical interactions and feedbacks between the ocean and atmosphere.” The project organises a range of activities, including summer schools, open science conferences and workshops. Its work addresses five core themes:
- Core Theme 1: Greenhouse gases and the oceans
- Core Theme 2: Air-sea interface and fluxes of mass and energy
- Core Theme 3: Atmospheric deposition and ocean biogeochemistry
- Core Theme 4: Interconnections between aerosols, clouds, and marine ecosystems
- Core Theme 5: Ocean biogeochemical control on atmospheric chemistry.
According to the announcement, the incoming Executive Director will oversee diverse tasks for SOLAS. They include:
- Supervise the international coordination for the implementation of the SOLAS Science Plan
- Develop, plan, and facilitate the SOLAS Implementation Strategy
- Liaise with and report to the SOLAS sponsors (WCRP, SCOR, iCACGP, and Future Earth)
- Organise the annual SSC meetings and document discussions and decisions of the meetings
- Support proposal development and secure funding of SOLAS activities and events
- Lead and manage the SOLAS IPO in both Germany and China
- Supervise the organisation of the SOLAS Summer Schools, the SOLAS International Open Science Conferences, and SOLAS-related activities
- Supervise the project’s communication activities (monthly e-news, event reports, twitter account)
- Maintain project accounts, prepare financial statements, and manage the project finances
- Represent SOLAS at various fora
DATESeptember 13, 2017
AUTHORFuture Earth Staff Member
SHARE WITH YOUR NETWORK
New IPCC Report: “Further Delay Too Dangerous, Current Climate Plans Inadequate,” Scientists Say
Scientific experts sought for the Earth Commission: Call for Nominations
Future Earth at the UN 2023 Water Conference