Future Earth vacancy: Grant Writer (Montreal)
Future Earth is seeking a Grant Writer to be based in Montreal, Canada. The Writer will work with and report to the Executive Director, focusing primarily on grant writing, as well as issue briefs, op-eds, articles and concept notes, and other general communication functions.
To apply for this position, see the full posting announcement below:
Closing date and start of contract
14 February 2018 – Start date as soon as possible.
The Future Earth Initiative
Future Earth is the international platform for research, innovation, and collaboration working to accelerate transformations to a sustainable world. With offices all over the world, we harness the experience and reach of thousands of scientists and innovators from across the globe.
This international initiative was developed under the auspices of the Science and Technology Alliance for Global Sustainability, including the following international organisations: International Council for Science (ICSU), the International Social Science Council (ISSC), the Belmont Forum of funding agencies, the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), the United Nations University (UNU), Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN), the STS forum and the World Meteorological Organization.
Future Earth is served by a globally-distributed Secretariat that uniquely encompasses five Global Hubs (in Colorado, Montreal, Paris, Stockholm and Tokyo) connected through a dynamic, networked structure. The distributed model unites a diversity of perspectives, stakeholders and geographical locations. The Secretariat works through virtual teams that ensure that the diversity of perspectives and global reach are a daily reality. The Executive Director of Future Earth is based in Montreal.
The incumbent will write grant proposals and applications in collaboration with programme staff, while also providing writing and research support to the Executive Director, working collaboratively with the Montreal Global Hub team and the distributed Secretariat. She/he will report to the Executive Director, and be a team player flexible on work with broader Secretariat staff and projects.
Grant writing (60%):
- Perform prospect research on foundations, governmental and intergovernmental funding agencies to evaluate prospects for grants and other funding opportunities.
- Conduct the full range of pre-award activities required to prepare, submit and manage grant proposals to foundations, corporate sources, governmental and intergovernmental funding agencies. These include letters of intent, proposals, reports and more.
- Write grant proposals and related documents for submission.
- Under the direction of the Executive Director, prepare updates and supply post-award progress reports as required.
Staff Writing (40%):
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and broader Secretariat staff, identify, develop and write a range of Future Earth products, including but not limited to: issue briefs, op-eds, articles, commentaries and concept notes.
- Support the Communications team by contributing input for written organisation materials, such as annual reports and newsletters.
- Flexibility to work with Secretariat on miscellaneous written products and communications strategies as needed.
Candidate qualifications and key competencies
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum 5 years of related work experience.
- Excellent writing and analytical skills in both French and English; ability to write clear, structured, articulate and persuasive pieces.
- Attention to detail and strong proofreading skills.
- Experience with proposal and grant writing and institutional donors.
- Knowledge of fundraising techniques and strategies.
- Ability to manage sensitive and confidential information with integrity.
- Strong contributor in team environments.
- Sound judgment, tactful and sensitive to diverse cultures and constituents.
- Availability to work outside normal working hours and to travel on occasion.
- Familiarity with international organisations and demonstrated interest in sustainability-related initiatives desirable.
Commensurate with experience.
As the position is based in Montreal, applicant must have a Work Permit for Quebec.
Applicants to this position are requested to submit a curriculum vitae, two writing samples (either grants, op-eds, issue briefs or non-academic articles) and a cover letter describing their interest in the position and how their skills and experience would help them meet the requirements of the role. Please also include the name and contact details of two referees. Applications – in one combined PDF file and in English – should be sent via email with "Grant Writer" as the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date for applications is 14 February, 2018. Further information on Future Earth is available at www.futureearth.org.
DATEJanuary 30, 2018
AUTHORFuture Earth Staff Member
SHARE WITH YOUR NETWORK
Scientific experts sought for the Earth Commission: Call for Nominations
Future Earth at the UN 2023 Water Conference
UN Delegates Reach Agreement on “High Seas Treaty” to Protect Marine Biodiversity