Future Earth vacancy: Project Coordinator (Part-time, Montreal, Canada)
The Project Coordinator will work with the Executive Director and Head of Coordination to support and coordinate the Futures CoLab project with a possibility for extending responsibilities to other projects or tasks as needed.
Location: Montreal (Canada)
Start of contract : As soon as possible
Duration : Summer, 2018 (Early May– Early September)
Employment Type: Part-time (25 hours per week)
Contract Salary scale : Commensurate with experience
Future Earth is the international platform for research, innovation and collaboration, working to accelerate transformations to a sustainable world. With offices all over the world, we harness the experience and reach of thousands of scientists and innovators from across the globe. This international initiative was developed under the auspices of the Science and Technology Alliance for Global Sustainability, including the following international organizations: UNESCO, UNEP, UNU, WMO, ICSU, ISSC and the Belmont Forum.
Future Earth is served by a globally-distributed Secretariat that uniquely encompasses five Global Hubs (Boulder in Colorado, Montreal, Paris, Stockholm, Tokyo) connected through a dynamic, networked structure. The distributed model unites a diversity of perspectives, stakeholders and geographical locations. The Secretariat works through virtual teams that ensure that the diversity of perspectives and global reach are a daily reality. The Executive Director and Head of Coordination are based in Montreal.
About the project Futures CoLab
Futures CoLab (formerly ClimateRisks CoLab) is a joint project of Future Earth and MIT Center for Collective Intelligence that provides an online platform for facilitated, asynchronous dialogue and scenario planning on global change issues. It is an effort to mobilize Future Earth’s global and cross-sectoral networks of social and natural scientists to engage with and contribute to global dialogues on imagining alternative futures that can shape climate and sustainability policy and action. By harnessing a global community of experts from many different fields, Futures CoLab can tackle the systemic-risks of climate change that our increasingly interconnected world is vulnerable to.
Futures CoLab is working to support climate philanthropic organizations to explore alternative futures that might impact their investment strategies.
The incumbent will work with the Executive Director and Head of Coordination to help coordinate and run Futures CoLab, reporting to the Head of Coordination. The incumbent will collaborate with the Futures CoLab team to support the following tasks:
- Refinement of the scenario development process;
- Identification and recruitment of an international group of expert participants for 1-2 sets of scenario-building exercises;
- Facilitation (working with lead facilitator) of the online discussions and scenario-building exercise (scenarios to run approx. 4-5 weeks each);
- Produce a final synthesis report
The project coordinator will also provide general administrative support to the project.
This position is part-time with an average commitment of 25 hours a week (hours will vary depending on project stage).
- Experience with project management
- Experience with online dialogues, facilitation or community management an asset
- Experience in scenario planning an asset
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in the social sciences, global sustainability, or science, technology and society
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Superior communication, detail-oriented, organizational and interpersonal skills with ability to multitask
- Ability to work independently, plan processes and manage projects with established deadlines and parameters
- Sound judgment, tactful and sensitive to diverse cultures and constituents
- Good relationship management skills
- Availability to work outside normal working hours
- Familiarity with international organizations and demonstrated interest in sustainability-related initiatives is an asset
- As the position is based in Montreal, the candidate requires a Work Permit for Quebec
Applicants to this position are requested to submit an English curriculum vitae, together with a cover letter describing their interest in the position, and how their skills and experience would help them meet the requirements of the role. Please also include the name and contact details of two referees. Applications – in one combined PDF file – should be sent via email with "Part-time Project Coordinator" in the subject line to email@example.com. There is no closing date for applications, we will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis until the position has been filled.
DATEApril 16, 2018
AUTHORFuture Earth Staff Member
SHARE WITH YOUR NETWORK
Harnessing the Collective Power of Scientists: Future Earth’s 2022-23 Annual Report
Future Earth Seeks Applicants for 2023 Early-Career Fellowship
IPBES Report Provides Evidence, Tools & Options to Help Governments Achieve New Global Goal on Invasive Alien Species