Future Earth Vacancy: Science Officer (Montreal)
Apply by 10 April 2019
Future Earth is seeking a Science Officer to be based in Montreal, Canada. The Science Officer will work with and report to the Executive Director, supporting primarily the Science for Earth Targets Initiative and Our Future on Earth Report.
Future Earth Global Hub – Montreal, Suite 1020, 1250 Guy Street, H3H 2T4 Montreal, Quebec, Canada; employer: Future Earth International
Closing date and start of contract
Deadline for application: 10 April 2019 – Start immediately
1 year contract, with possibility of extension
The Future Earth initiative
Future Earth is the international platform for research, innovation, and collaboration working to accelerate transformations to global sustainability. With offices all over the world, we harness the experience and reach of thousands of scientists and innovators from across the globe.
The incumbent will primarily provide research, synthesis, writing and communication support for the development of the following two initiatives:
Science for Earth Targets: An initiative to foster integrated approaches to the SDGs by mobilizing the knowledge needed to define specific targets for the so-called life-supporting SDGs (water, climate, oceans, and land) and explore their implications for the other SDGs. The Science Officer will work with the Core Team to drive this project forward, providing research, synthesis, writing and communication support.
Our Future on Earth Report: An annual science publication, which aims to provide the world with a regular update of the changing Earth and social systems that underpin the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). It will address both the biggest news stories as well as the latest research developments, and put these in context of society’s path toward sustainability. The Science Officer will work with the Editorial Board of the report and Secretariat team to drive this project forward, providing research, synthesis, writing and communication support.
The Science Officer will also prepare issue briefs and provide research and writing support, working collaboratively with the Montreal Global Hub team and the distributed Secretariat. She/he will report to the Executive Director, and be a team player flexible on work with broader Secretariat staff and projects.
Candidate qualifications and key competencies
- Minimum master’s degree (PhD an asset) and expertise in the fields of global environmental change, environmental and/or biophysical sciences.
- 3 – 5 years’ experience in research, synthesis and/or science policy.
- Excellent writing and analytical skills in English; ability to write clear, structured, articulate and persuasive pieces. Abilities in French an asset.
- Experience with Sustainable Development Goals an asset.
- Familiarity and experience with stakeholder communities and/or international organizations (science, policy, NGOs, etc.) in the field of the environment and sustainability is an asset
- Policy experience an asset.
- Superior communication, organizational and interpersonal skills with ability to multitask are essential.
- Strong contributor in team environments.
- Sound judgment, tactful and sensitive to diverse cultures and constituents.
- Availability to work outside normal working hours and to travel on occasion.
Commensurate with experience.
We offer an extended health benefits package.
As the position is based in Montreal, the applicant requires having a Work Permit for Quebec.
Applicants to this position are requested to submit a curriculum vitae, with at least one writing sample, and a cover letter describing their interest in the position and how their skills and experience would help them meet the requirements of the role. Please also include the name and contact details of two referees. Applications – in one combined PDF file and in English – should be sent via email with “Science Officer” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date for applications is 10 April, 2019. Further information on Future Earth is available at www.futureearth.org.
DATEMarch 14, 2019
AUTHORFutureEarth Staff Member
SHARE WITH YOUR NETWORK
Future Earth Japan Hosts Summit
Share the Stage with Leading Experts in Sustainability Research at SRI2020
Applications Now Open for Hands-on Demonstration Sessions at SRI2020