Future Earth’s Engagement at WCRP Open Science Conference 2023
The World Climate Research Programme Open Science Conference is happening 23 – 27 October in Kigali, Rwanda. The once-in-a-decade conference will bring together the climate, environment, and related communities to discuss the latest developments in climate science and explore the transformative actions urgently needed to ensure a sustainable future. The outcome of all conference sessions will culminate with the “Kigali Declaration” – a conference statement that will be submitted to the 28th Conference of the Parties (COP28) taking place in the United Arab Emirates immediately after the Conference.
Several Future Earth community members are at the Conference and participating in events.
Future Earth will co-host two side events:
Wednesday, 25 October
- We will explore in small groups the integration of expert knowledge with lived experience to create actionable scenarios that can be adapted to participants’ interests while also sharing best practices for engaging stakeholders and implementers in the co-development process.
When: 20:00 Kigali Time
- Erica Key – Future Earth Global Secretariat
- Faten Attig Bahar – University of Carthage and Future Earth
- Michael Nxumalo – National Research Foundation of South Africa and Future Earth Africa Hub
Open to all delegates registered for the WCRP Open Science Conference.
Friday 27 October
- This side event will include break-out sessions/parallel round tables discussions to identify ‘pressing’ science priorities of the five different regions in Africa and how programmes such as WCRP, Future Earth Africa with the involvement from regional and global EMCRs can help address these.
When: 17:00 Kigali Time
- Hindumathi Kulaiappan Palanisamy, WCRP
- Nico Caltabiano, WCRP
- Faten Attig Bahar, the University of Carthage and Future Earth
- Erica Key, Future Earth Global Secretariat
- Michael Nxumalo, National Research Foundation of South Africa and Future Earth Global Secretariat
Open to all delegates registered for the WCRP Open Science Conference
Future Earth community members from the following networks are at the Conference:
DATEOctober 23, 2023
AUTHORFuture Earth Staff Member
SHARE WITH YOUR NETWORK
Sign the COP28 statement. The Science is Clear: We Need Net Zero Carbon Dioxide Emissions by 2050.
Top 10 Climate Science Insights Unveiled: Rapid Fossil Fuels Phase-out Crucial for Minimizing 1.5°C Overshoot
Future Earth Bringing Science Front and Center at COP28 in Dubai